During these crazy times, Trivium Racing is looking for ways to keep training and stay healthy while having fun! Poker Runs, traditionally done on a motorcycle or speed boat, are events in which the participants go from location to location and get a playing card at each spot in an attempt to get the best possible poker hand. We will be doing this with cycling and running over the next several weeks! Athletes who participate will get a map with the specific locations of each “Virtual Poker Dealer” (a plastic tub with a deck of cards in it. ) The shortest distance to 5 cards for a cycling challenge will be just under 25 miles and just under 8 miles for a running challenge, so this is achievable by anyone! Athletes will take the top card from each box they visit (cleaning/sanitizing their hands before touching the box and cards!). Athletes must visit a minimum of 5 “dealers” but can go to as many as they like once. The better your poker hand, the more time bonuses you get to reduce your overall time (see time bonus chart below)! Once you are done, you must return to the starting line and submit your time! Each “Poker Game” will be open for a seven day period, at the end of seven days, we will post results and send out fun Trivium Prizes!
Check out all the detailed rules under the Rules tab!
We will have four Cycling Poker Runs and four Running Poker Runs. Athletes who complete at least four total (either running or cycling) will get a Ante Up Poker Run Medal!
When and Where
Sunday May 31st, 2020
Greensboro , NC
Athletes will get the race start location the night before the first competition. Athletes have a week to do their ride/run (must complete in one day)!
Schedule of Events
(note: If a challenge has to be cancelled, due to coronavirus, it WILL be rescheduled!)
- Challenge 1: April 4th – April 11th
- Challenge 2: April 20th – April 26th
- Challenge 3: May 6th – May 12th
- Challenge 4: May 22nd – May 28th
- Challenge 1: April 12th – April 18th
- Challenge 2: April 28th – May 4th
- Challenge 3: May 14th – May 20th
- Challenge 4: May 30th – June 5th
|Try Again – Additional Run/Ride Within Event Week*||$5|
*If you ride/run once and decide you want to try again to get a faster time or a better hand, register again for $5 and you can try again! Your best time/hand overall will be used in the final results.
If you register for 4 challenges at once you will get an automatic discount of $10!
What You Get With Your Registration
- An opportunity to have fun and train with a unique event!
- Complete 4 challenges (bike or run) and get an Ante Up Poker Run Medal!
- Weekly Results from the competition
We will do Top 3 awards for each challenge. The cool thing about events like these is that the fastest participant doesn’t always win. Athletes who take a chance, and get additional cards have the chance to use time bonuses to move themselves up in the standings!
We will also have a special award for the BEST POKER HAND regardless of time!
Rules & Guidelines
Poker Run Rules:
- To keep things germ-free, please clean/sanitize your hands before and after taking a card. Do not participate if you are feeling sick or living with someone who is symptomatic.
- Cycling events must be done on a non-motorized bicycle.
- Run events must be run or walked in its entirety. You cannot use a bike or any other form of transportation.
- These are solo events. Especially in the days of Covid-19, the race rule is that you must do these events ON YOUR OWN.
- Athletes must complete their ride/run in one day, it cannot be broken up into multiple days.
- Athletes must start at the assigned location, visit at least 5 “dealers”, and then return to the start line. You may visit more than 5 “dealers” but each “dealer” on the course can be visited ONLY once. For your final hand, you must choose your 5 best cards.
- Athletes must take the top card from the deck. You are not allowed to shuffle or pick a different card.
- Upon completion of your ride/run, please send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can view your ride/run. Also include a picture of your card hand, and your total time.
- We will be using strava to verify your route and times. If you are going to use another platform please contact the admin (email@example.com) first.
- The clock runs the entire time you are riding/running. Do NOT stop the clock at any time during your course (railroads, stop lights, getting your card, peeing etc. are included in your final time)
- All cards will have numbers on them. This is to verify a few things for us while you are playing. Please follow the rules.
- If you ride/run once and decide you want to try again to get a faster time or a better hand, register again for $5 and you can try again! Your best time/hand overall will be used in the final results.
- When you are finished and have taken a picture of your final hand (5 cards only). Find the box at the Start/Finish line to discard your cards.
- You do not need to discard if you go after more than five cards (unlike draw poker)
- Please click here for basic poker rules!
Cancellation and Refunds:
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency, pandemics), refunds will not be made. Information will be available on the race website. In the event the event needs to be delayed due to Coronavirus complications, a new week for the event will be added.
Refund Policy: No refunds for any reason will be issued for this event.
Results for this event are available below: