Chances are you know someone who does Orangetheory or you noticed them setup at one of Trivium Racing’s events. But did you know that Orangetheory can help you train for the Greensboro Half Marathon & 5K and other races? Before we give you all of the reasons that it can help you get a PR on race day, lets answer the question:
What is Orangetheory?
Orangetheory Fitness is a heart-rate based HIIT total-body group workout that combines science, coaching and technology to give you a great workout. They are classes where a coach will guide you through five different heart rate zones: resting, easy, challenging, uncomfortable and All Out, telling you when to push harder and when to pull back for recovery. The goal is to spend 12 minutes or more with your heart rate elevated in “The Orange Zone” to boost your metabolism, burn fat and burn more calories. The workouts consist of rowing, cardio (walking or running on treadmills or cycling) and strength training using a variety of weights. Each class has great music and people to pump you up and get you ready to perform your best.
Why Orangetheory Benefits Your Half Marathon Training
Reasons you should add Orangetheory to your Greensboro Half Marathon training:
1. They work for everyone – Whether you qualify for Boston every year or are just starting out and walking, Orangetheory is great because it can be personalized to your heart rate and where you are in your fitness journey. In fact, they even have a couple of bikes if you are injured or want a true cross-training day.
2. Full body workout – Running is a repetitive activity, especially on the road. Giving yourself a full body workout means that you will become fitter overall, decreasing chances of injury. Rowing itself utilizes 85% of your muscles and can even help your posture, all things that can help your running skills.
3. Community support – The community in both Greensboro and Jamestown Orangetheory studios are amazing. The coaches and fellow athletes will be cheering you on for the entirety of your workout (and they will be out cheering at the Greensboro Half Marathon and 5K too). They really want to see each and every person that comes into the studio meet and exceed their fitness goals.
4. Adds strength training – Orangetheory adds strength training in a fun and energetic way to your workout. By adding strength training into your running plan it will make you more fit overall, decrease your chances of injuries and help to improve your running speed.
5. Helps to increase your speed – The interval training that you do during the treadmill portions of an Orangetheory class is very similar to speedwork on a track. Speedwork has been shown to increase your running speed during a race because it makes you stronger, more efficient, and increases your VO2 Max.
Stop by Orangetheory to check it out. The first class is always free.
Locations in Triad are:
1410 Westover Terrace Suite 100 B, Greensboro, NC 27408
5710 W Gate City Blvd Suite T, Greensboro, NC 27407
367 Lower Mall Dr, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Or see if there is a location near you.