Are you ready for a unique opportunity for a race with no boundaries and no set course? Are you prepared for a chance to explore, choose your own adventure, and set your own direction? Come check out Escape Piedmont!
On August 22nd athletes will start at the same location (only revealed hours before race start time) and from there, all the choices are their own. Any athletes who make it further than 40 miles for the 12 hour race and 25 miles for the 6 hour race, as the crow flies from the start location within the time limit will earn their Escape Piedmont Ultra Medal. The athletes who make it the furthest from the starting point as the crow flies will be our winners of the inaugural Escape Piedmont Event.
This race will be a bit different than what you are used to.
- Post Race Party (updated 7/6) Since we will be sending you to the ends of the earth, we will do a post race party complete with food and drinks on TBD once Covid-19 allows for it. This will be complete with awards and a chance to talk to your fellow escapees about your adventures!!
- Want to learn the course ahead of time? Not a chance! There is no course, and athletes will not know the starting line until 2 hours before the run begins. (The race will start within 75 driving miles of downtown Greensboro. At the pre race meeting athletes will be given a 25 mile radius of where the start line will be so they can plan, and be closer to the race starting line leading up to race time!). This isn’t about who gets to a point the fastest, and its not even who logs the most miles, this is about who can get the furthest away by the end of the 6hr or 12hr clock!
Athletes can join the event in a few different formats. Each category will be scored separately:
- 12 Hour Individual Unaided – This is the most intensive version. No sidekick, no mapping software, your phone must be off and no outside aid. You must carry everything you need with you! Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 12 hour Partner Unaided – Like the idea of forging your own route on your instincts alone, but want to make sure you have someone else to blame when you just wind up going in circles? Sign up for the team option! With this option you and your partner cannot leave each other sides. Still no phones or outside aid, but you get to suffer alongside a friend (at least they were your friend, until you spent all night together!) Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 12 Hour Individual Aided – This is for the person who wants to see what they are capable of, but wants to know they have an out and the help of technology! Aided participants can have their phone or GPS device on at all times and can use it to help them along the way. They can also have a support vehicle to give them ice cold water with mint leaves and massages along the way! Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 12 Hour Partner Aided – Want to spend the night exploring the world around you, but want to do it with a friend by your side, and get a little outside help? The Team aided category allows you to use GPS, a cell phone, and get help from a support vehicle. Make it more than 40 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Individual Unaided – For the half crazy! If you want to forge your own destiny, but only until around midnight this race is for you! No phone or GPS allowed, and no outside aid, but you won’t have to see the sunrise! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Partner Unaided – Want to compete in the six hour event, but want to be able to blame your friend for why you didn’t do the 12 hour! Sign up for this category! You cannot leave your partner’s side, but you don’t have to spend all night with them! No outside aid, and no GPS devices! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Individual Aided – Newer to longer distance events? Like the idea of the event but you are only half crazy? This category allows you to run 6 hours alone-ish. Your friends or family can provide you aid on the course and you can use your phone for directions, and maybe to order a pizza along the way! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
- 6 Hour Partner Aided – This is a great option for your first foray into craziness. Compete alongside your compatriot, have a phone ready for all directions, have family and friends available for aid. Don’t feel like this is a cop-out, you will still traverse miles and miles as you escape alongside a friend! Make it more than 25 miles from the start as the crow flies and earn your medal!
Athletes must move entirely on their own two feet. Trails, roads, greenways are all fair game, but athletes cannot cut through private property. Athletes will be monitored through GPS racking devices provided by the race the entire time. No aid stations, no mile markers, no turn signs. You make all the choices. When 6 hours and 12 hours hits we will determine who our winners are! We will have Trivium staff our monitoring and ready to rescue at any time.
We also invite you to check out our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/escapepiedmont.
When and Where
Saturday August 22nd, 2020
450 Groce Rd.
Ronda , NC 28670
Parking information will be available as we get closer to the event. There will be enough parking for all athletes on race day. Remember that you will need to find your own ride back once the event is over. Since people are scattering to the winds, there is no way for race staff to bring everyone home following the event. We will have emergency pickup available for those who need it.
Schedule of Events
Friday August 21st, 2020 –
- 4:00 – 7:00 pm – Early Packet Pickup – 5310 Weeping Cherry Drive, Browns Summit, NC 27214. (packets CAN be picked up at the starting line
- 7:30 – 8:15 pm – Mandatory prerace meeting. This meeting will be 100% online. Athletes will attend through Facebook Live.
Saturday August 22nd, 2020 –
- 5:00 pm – Email goes out with GPS coordinates of Event Start Location
- 5:45 pm -6:20 pm – Packet pickup on site for those that attended the pre-race meeting virtually
- 6:30 pm – All races start
- 12:30 am – 6 hour events end
- 6:30 am – 12 hour events end
|Through Jul 17th
|Through Aug 14th
|Individual 6 Hour
|Individual 12 Hour
|2 person Team 6 Hour (per person)
|2 Person Team 12 Hour (per person)
There will not be any registration after August 14th. Any bib or event transfers must be completed by August 14th.
What You Get With Your Registration
- GPS monitored event. We will provide you with a GPS tracking device to wear during the event. You will be able to go back and see your route after the event, and your friends and family will be able to monitor you during the event via a connected app.
- Custom Escape Piedmont Finishers Medal
- Custom Escape Piedmont sublimated tech shirt
- Pre-race party and food
- Custom Escape Piedmont Awards
- 12 Hour Unaided Individual – Top Male and Top Female
- 12 Hour Aided Individual – Top Male and Top Female
- 12 Hour Unaided Team – Top Male Team, Top Female Team, Top Mixed Team
- 12 Hour Aided Team – Top Male Team, Top Female Team, Top Mixed Team
- 6 Hour Unaided Individual – Top Male and Top Female
- 6 Hour Aided Individual – Top Male and Top Female
- 6 Hour Unaided Team – Top Male Team, Top Female Team, Top Mixed Team
- 6 Hour Aided Team – Top Male Team, Top Female Team, Top Mixed Team
Rules & Guidelines
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined. Information will be available on the race website.
Refund Policy: No refunds for any reason will be issued for this event within 30 days of the event start date. Earlier than 30 days before the event, a request may be made for a 50% refund (this will be 50% of entry fee, excluding any processing fees). Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, please contact us on our Contact page and select “Registration” as the reason for your message.
Transfer policy: Entries can be transferred to another individual for a $5 transfer fee. T-shirt size will not be changeable. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. To request a transfer, please contact us on our Contact page and select “Registration” as the reason for your message.