Celebrate Beer City, USA with the Best Brewpub in the US – HopCat! This will be an accurately measured 5k course with an awesome shirt, unique finisher’s glass, and a hoppin after party. But best of all, there will be beer at each aid station – so every mile, you can stop for a brew!
More of a runner, and not quite excited about drinking mid run? This course is setup to also be a fast, competitive race. We will have standard overall and age group awards for the pure runner (or the fast beer drinking runner.) Enjoy a well produced 5K race and save your drinking until the end.
When and Where
Sunday May 29th, 2016
25 Ionia Ave
Grand Rapids , MI 49503
There is plenty of parking on streets and parking decks in the area. Please leave plenty of time to make your way from your car to the race site.
Schedule of Events
Early Packet Pickup – May 28th
- 4:00 pm – 6:00pm Gazelle Sports
Race Day – May 29th
- 2:00 – 3:45pm: Packet Pick Up
- 4:00pm: Race Start
- 5:30pm: Awards
|Through April 15th||Through May 15th||Through Race Day|
What You Get With Your Registration
- Custom Race T-shirt (must register by May 15th to guarantee a shirt)
- Finisher’s Beer Glass
- 3 Beers along the course and at the finish line
- Chip-timed Live Results
- Access to the After Party with live music!
- Unique Awards
- The event will be chip timed by Trivium Racing
- Finishers’ awards will be given to all finishers (drinking along the course is not required for obtaining a finishers award. Competition of the 5K course earns each participant a finishers glass!)
- Awards to the top 3 males and females in the following age groups: open, 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+ (drinking along the course is not required to qualify for awards. You can choose to drink or not drink along the way)
- 86% of students in GRPS qualify for free or reduced lunch; in order to qualify a family of four must have an annual household income of less than $21,710.
- 40% of children in America who play sports have to pay-to-play. These fees disproportionately affect children from low-income families; they are 4 times more likely to quit a sport due to costs.
- 71% of youth do not get the recommended amount of physical activity to live a healthy life.
- 26% of school-age children are on their own after school and the hours between 3pm and 6pm are the peak hours for juvenile crime.
GR8 Sports, Great Kids makes sports available to students, at school, after school. Through this program, GRPS is able to offer fourteen sports in grades 6-8; and four for elementary students—all at no cost to students or their families. Academic support is provided to middle school athletes to emphasize the importance of all aspects of their education and help ensure they are as successful academically as they are on the field. Almost 5,000 children in elementary and middle school participate in this program each year.
K-5 Sports: Soccer, Track & Field, Basketball and Cross-Country
6-8 Sports: Coed Cross-Country, Boys Football, Girls Volleyball, Boys & Girls Soccer, Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys Wrestling, Coed Bowling, Boys Baseball, Girls Softball, Coed Competitive Cheer, Coed Track, Coed Swim
A combination of funding support from both GRPS and the larger community will be required to sustain the GR8 Sports, Great Kids program. By the 2018-2019 school year, community contributions of $500,000 annually will be required to sustain this program. These funds will be matched by funds provided by the Grand Rapids Public Schools of approximately $300,000 annually.
The 5k course will be a single loop starting and finishing at HopCat. The course will follow along the Riverwalk for the majority of the route. The current map posted still needs approval from the city. Once approved we will have the course USATF Certified!
Rules & Guidelines
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined. Information will be available on the race website.
Refund Policy: No refunds for any reason will be issued for this event within 30 days of the event start date. Earlier than 30 days before the event, a request may be made for a 50% refund (this will be 50% of entry fee, excluding any processing fees). Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, please contact us on our Contact page and select “Registration” as the reason for your message.
Transfer policy: Entries can be transferred to another individual for a $5 transfer fee. T-shirt size will not be changeable. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. To request a transfer, please contact us on our Contact page and select “Registration” as the reason for your message.
Want to get involved in this event as a volunteer? We’d love for you to be a part of it! Click the link below to sign up.
If you have any questions about supporting our races, please drop us a line on the Contact page. Thanks!Register to Volunteer