Same great event, just a little different date. We have moved a bit later in the year to get away from the other events that had been on the same weekend. In our fifth year, we are expecting our biggest event yet!
The Growler Gallop is a 10 mile race and a 5K race starting and finishing at The Famous Atwater Brewery in Downtown Detroit! The 10 mile course will take you along the riverwalk and around Belle Isle, while the 5K will use the riverwalk and loop back around just before the bridge to Belle Isle. We will have great live music, medals, food and beer for all participants. The best part is that we have the most coveted prizes around, Growlers of Atwater Beer!! To all the fast ones out there you will have a chance to win our CASH PRIZES and KEGS!!
When and Where
Sunday September 30th, 2018
237 Joseph Campau Street
Detroit , MI 48237
aid parking will be available in the lot at the end of Jos Campau at the Riverwalk or on any of the surrounding neighborhood roads. Please do not park on the course as it makes it unsafe for athletes. Roads that will not be available for parking are Franklin between Chene and Adair and Joseph Campau, Adair, and Mt Elliot south of Jefferson.
NOTE: Please leave extra time to park, and make your way to the starting line. The race is not responsible for any valuables you leave in your vehicle. Please make sure that you secure your belongings and keep them out of site for safety.
Schedule of Events
Virtual Event : September 27th, 2018
- All registrations from the virtual event must be completed by September 15th.
- Runners competing virtually will not be eligible for awards. Completion of the race distance must be done by September 10th. Medals, race shirt, and race bib will be sent out within 10 days of completion. Once you have completed the distance you can email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your finishers award!
Early Packet Pickup – Saturday, Sept 29th
Race Day – Sunday, September 30th
- 1:30 – 3:40pm – Athlete registration and packet pickup at Atwater Brewery
- 4:00 pm – 10 mile race start
- 4:10 pm – 5 Kilometer race starts
- 6:00 pm – 10 mile and 5K awards
|Event||Through April 30th||Through July 1st||Through Race Day|
*Due to costs and logistics, the price of the race has increased this year. We are sorry for the increased price, but the costs of hosting events continues to rise. We will continue to put on the best events possible and make our events well worth the money you put into them! If you are not interested in a medal, beer tickets, or hoodie, and just want to race an amazing event please choose the economy package for a discounted event cost.
What You Get With Your Registration
- Growler Gallop Hoodie
- 2 beer tickets for Atwater Craft Beer
- Post race food
- Live Results
- Live Motown music before and after the event
- Both the Growler Gallop Ten Miler and 5K will be chip timed and gun timed by Trivium Racing. All awards will be based on GUN TIME.
- Finishers awards will be given to all finishers of the 10 Miler and 5K event.
- Cash prize awards to the top 3 overall male and female finishers in the 10 Miler Distance
- $150 -1st place, $100 – 2nd place, $75 – 3rd place.
- Awards to the top 3 males and females in the following age groups in each race: 20 and under, 21-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
- 1st place in age groups: A growler of Atwater’s finest beer! (under 21 awards will vary)
- 2nd and 3rd place in age group: Unique local and/or beer-related prizes!
10 Mile Course
The race will start at historic Atwater Brewery. The 10 mile course will quickly make its way to the riverfront where it will follow the Riverwalk greenway until it reaches Belle Isle Park. Runners will get a chance to see the sights of Belle Isle as they make a loop around the island. Athletes will then head back to Atwater Brewery where the fun really begins.
There are five water stops on the course that will have both water and Gatorade. At the midway point stop you will be able to also get Gu Gels.
Due to police and road closures everyone will be kept on a strict 16 minute per mile pace. If runners fall behind this pace by mile 5 they will be asked to either take a ride back to the finish or to obey all traffic laws while they complete the course.
This flat fast 5K course will spend most of its time on the Riverwalk greenway. The out and back course will allow athletes to see their competition after they make their turnaround! Athletes will finish to the sound of Motown music and the taste of the best beer in the region!
Rules & Guidelines
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined. Information will be available on the race website.
Refund Policy: No refunds for any reason will be issued for this event within 30 days of the event start date. Earlier than 30 days before the event, a request may be made for a 50% refund (this will be 50% of entry fee, excluding any processing fees). Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, please contact us on our Contact page and select “Registration” as the reason for your message.
Transfer policy: Entries can be transferred to another individual for a $5 transfer fee. T-shirt size will not be changeable. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another event or year. To request a transfer, please contact us on our Contact page and select “Registration” as the reason for your message.